Joe DiPietro is experienced handling complex cases in state and federal courts involving international custody disputes under the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction at the trial and appellate levels, international and domestic divorce, and complex cases involving spousal support, custody and visitation, child support, and enforcement of awards on behalf of clients.
Joe’s philosophy and mission is to make family transitions and conflict a time for personal growth and powerful positive change, in addition to advocating for the best possible result for his client in any given situation. Joe is a firm believer in settling cases through negotiation and mediation whenever possible.
His strong financial background allows him to converse easily with valuation experts and create comprehensive legal arguments involving complex financial concepts. He is an objective advisor for his clients and seeks practical solutions to difficult problems. When litigation is the only path to a favorable outcome, he prosecutes his clients’ cases in a proactive and professional manner.
Joe graduated from American University with a JD/MBA and prior to founding DiPietro Law Group was a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Michael J. Stamm in the Circuit Court for St. Mary’s County Maryland. He has authored several publications relating to business law and family law.
- Loyola University: B.A.
- American University Washington College of Law: J.D.
- Kogod School of Business, American University: M.B.A.
Awards & Accolades
- AV Preeminent® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, 2013
- “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine, 2014
- Top 10 Family Law Attorneys Under the Age of 40 in Virginia by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys, 2014, 2015
- “10 Best” Attorneys for Virginia for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys, 2015
- Selected for inclusion in the Super Lawyer® Rising Stars? list, 2015, 2016
Professional Memberships, Court Admissions & Affiliations
- Virginia Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- American Bar Association, International Law Section
Mr. DiPietro is not licensed to practice law in Maryland.
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Appeals from J&DR to Circuit Court: Can the Statutory Right to a De Novo Appeal be Waived?, Family Law Quarterly (Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section), Summer 2014, at 15.
- Exclusive Use and Possession Pendente Lite: What Is the Standard, Family Law News (Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section), Fall 2013, at 6.
- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Faces Chapter 11, Bloomberg Law Reports (Bloomberg Finance L.P.), September 2010, Vol. 4, No. 37.
- Empagran: First Step in Avoiding a U.S. Monopoly on Antitrust Enforcement, Business Law Brief (American University Washington College of Law), Spring 2005, at 38.
- Managing Financial and Legal Risks in a Challenging Economic Climate, Small Business Development Center 2011 Seminar Series
- Advanced Issues in Tax Aspects of Real Estate Transactions, Continuing Legal Education Presented by National Business Institute, 2011
We’re here to support you and move towards resolving the difficult situation you are currently navigating. Call us today at (888) 530-4374 to get started.