What to Do If Your Ex Starts Being Late with Child Support or Slacking on Time Sharing

As difficult as it is already to keep the peace with an ex, failure to keep up with child support payments is an unforgivable offense for most single parents. Raising a child is difficult enough as it is without the physical, emotional, and overall support of the other parent, but when the financial support stops too, most parents can’t afford to be patient. So, what’s the best course of action?

First off, you should familiarize yourself with the law in your area, in addition to reviewing the agreement you made in court. If a payment is late or missing, try to solve it in a civil way before immediately dialing your lawyer. Request a mutual meeting place to discuss the matter without the children present. Never bring it up during drop-offs. Listen to your ex’s concerns and suggest compromises if he or she is truly struggling. For example, if you’re used to splitting extra expenses for the children in half, you can offer to pay the full amount for the children’s private school tuition this month if he or she pays the full bill next month.

Usually, a decline in child support payments goes hand-in-hand with slacking on time sharing. Whether the support checks are coming in or not, as the custodial parent, you have an obligation to support and encourage the other parent to be a positive and consistent role model in your child’s life. If you notice your ex missing more visitations than usual lately, sit down and discuss any problems with the schedule or other conflicts that are getting in the way of this important parental duty. Try to be flexible and accommodate his or her schedule, since this will help you do what’s best for your children.

If your ex is frequently late with child support payments and isn’t cooperative in your attempts to solve it one-to-one, consider sending in a request for income withholding through this electronic filing system. If you have any necessary information about your ex’s form of employment compensation, contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement immediately. For example, if you found out that your ex was getting paid under the table, you could report this violation and ensure proper accounting for his or her income.

Before you take legal action, consider obtaining advice from a qualified family law attorney. The experienced team at DiPietro Family Law Group can help. Don’t hesitate to give us a call with your questions and concerns at (888) 530-4374.

Related Posts
  • Understanding the Role of a Guardian ad Litem in Virginia Divorce Proceedings Read More
  • Steps to Prepare for a Child Custody Evaluation in Virginia Read More
  • What Custody Schedule is Best for the Child? Read More